Tuesday, October 25, 2016

BSA206, Film Review "Drugstore Cowboy", 25 October, 2016


This is only the second Gus van Sant movie I've ever seen (To Die For being the first) as his subjects don't interest me very much.  His editing techniques and imagery are interesting, even beautiful, though.  And on review of his filmography at imdb.com, I'm surprised to find that he directed some very good music videos which I HAVE seen: Red Hot Chili Peppers' "Under the Bridge" and David Bowie's "Fame ('90)".  The following stills were from sequnces that I found quite striking: Bob's narration as he rides in an ambulance at the start of the film, his champagne bubles and pill-induced excitement, and his drug-addled car ride.  The last two have tiny images floating over the screen conveying the character's drug euphoria.  Was it van Sant's intention to glamor or de-glamorize drug use?  



No comments:

Post a Comment