Friday, October 21, 2016

BSA215, comic progress, 21-24 October, 2016

I blogged way too much about my comic progress last year and filled it with entry after entry of tiny changes.  This year, I'm just going to post when I've finished colouring them.   As I'm not saving on a day by day basis, either, I hope that I'm not headed for disaster.  I have saved line versions of everything, so fingers crossed...


I can see the face on the back of the cover, but will anyone else?  I was inspired by this image:

and decided to have Amelia Earthart's face looming over the scene in the background.  It may just read as a face... I hope to connect the story dots within the comic.  Of course at this point, finishing seems like it's going to be THE achievement, and not comprehensibility.  Hmmmm.   No soft turn-in Monday because of the holiday, so totally done for the 31st?  Ten days to go!

 Page one:  I spent 5 hours colouring this a few weeks ago and realized afterwards what a huge mistake that was.  Looks good, but my process needs to speed up significantly.
Page two:  My plan was to repeat the same action over and over (colour her hair and face, then do her clothes, then do somebody else, etc.) but got excited and finished the whole page.  I was so close, anyway.  The colouring process feels much faster this time because I did all of the experimenting and failing and succeeding last year.  I'm just pushing forward with what I already know.

Word bubbles will probably be added again at the last minute.


I have to make 19 pages (page 20 will be an ad for SIT because everybody knows that Sea Monkeys are totally fake) which includes the front and back cover.  I've gotten 5 done as of Saturday morning.  Hooray!!

Page 3:

Page 4 is in progress, but I'm trying to leave problems until I've done everything I know to do and there are two panels that need better drawings.  I may yet get back to it this weekend, in which case I'll post the update in sequence.  

I decided that I liked the flow of having everything happening in order so much that I swung back and made myself fix the problems with page 4 now rather than later.  The figures behind Pierce and his spotlight were badly drawn so I went worked them up and the colour, too.
page 5:


I've put an "oldy timey" colour mask over the flashback scenes which I hope will help the viewer read them as such.  Word bubbles should do the rest.  And some time and date markers.  I've also added bits of The Librarian skulking around in the back.

Page 6:
 Page 7:


page 16:



No comments:

Post a Comment