Friday, November 10, 2017

BSA324, exhibition rundown, 10 November, 2017

For my final exhibition, I decided to bring together my merchandising, Imagination Warehouse set, and the music into an installation.  Before we left for term break back in October, Kevin had gotten feedback on his project that I thought was very interesting.  Kathryn and Rachel suggested that he set everything up like he was actually launching his video game.  This sounded like a really good idea for my project, too, as I've been working for months to create a package that could be presented to potential funders, stakeholders, collaborators, and broadcasters.  I asked Kathryn if I could have the small window box and planned to put merchandise, a video of the camera running through the IW plus music on the tv screen, and maybe a Jellybean-bag.  When I gave my final critique a few weeks later, Kathryn suggested that I also use the window space next to it.  It was occupied by Maira Muller's exhibit from last year but could be painted over and repurposed.  I decided to turn that space into a recreation the final illustration from my pitch bible.

My artist statement:

Traci Meek
Bachelor of Screen Arts, Animation, Year 3
“Girl and the Imagination Warehouse”
Multi-media Installation and Digital Illustration

What would it be like if we learned a number of skills from childhood that helped us resolve conflict with respect and value for others?  What if the problems of young people were given the same consideration and weight as those of adults?  What if animation could be used as a vehicle to bring generations together to explore and grow as a nation?

I draw inspiration from the work of the Sesame Workshop and their constantly evolving program. Over the years, they have expanded from teaching language and math skills to emotional resiliency in the face of dramatic life events.  They use humour and heart to engage children and adults alike with their stories.  With the assistance of an international cast of colourful imaginary friends, it is my intention to create a program that addresses the needs of tweens 8-12 as they navigate the tricky path between childhood and adulthood.

In development since 2009, “Girl and the Imagination Warehouse” seeks to address these questions.  The work in this exhibition represents the fourth phase in the year-long development of material at SIT to promote and produce an animated pilot.  Commissioned music by Anna van Riel has been combined with concept art and shots of the Imagination Warehouse to create a promo for the show, collectible toys of the character “Jellybean” have been 3D modelled, printed, and decorated, and a diorama of the Imagination Warehouse and its residents has been assembled to create a sense of anticipation and excitement for the next phase of the project.  This body of work will be used to attract funding, stakeholders, and like-minded collaborators to create an animated pilot which will then lead on to a series.  Just as the emotional growth of people is an ongoing concern, so too is this project.



 I pulled furniture and bits out of my house and after painting the back walls to look like brickwork, set up a 3D version of the IW.  I printed large versions of the characters but reversed the direction they were sitting to better fit into the space and to create a diagonal flow from the tall cases down to the artist statement in the corner.  I printed off framed pictures for the back wall so they matched the frame around the alarm panel.  Ha ha!  There's always something and I needed to keep access to that panel from the inside and outside clear for the fire marshalls.
 The photos I've taken with my camera are pretty average but Chris MacDonald will do some proper photos for my archives.
 This is the "real" stuff, the collectibles, music, and animation of GIW.  It's a simpler, cleaner space than the window next door in keeping with store merchandising.  I faked up a pile of books (the one on top is the real one), set out 3 of each of the best 3D prints that had been packaged up, and compiled a video with illustrations for each of the songs that we recorded. And Anna, Libby, and Liv are there, too!  Which reminds me: must get signatures on release forms soon and contract with Anna done.
The Jellybean-bag was an essential and OF COURSE last minute addition to the scene.  It's only half decorated with spots and the fur is the wrong length for the purple, or vice versa.  With those complaints out of the way, the scene would not be complete with out it.  I will fix it up or make a better one next time!  Ha ha

No comments:

Post a Comment