Wednesday, May 6, 2015

BMA142 3-poster series, development, Cameo 6 May

The head of a man was created in Mudbox. This is the first time after a demo session, that I have used this 3D program.  A "head mesh" was chosen from the menu and then sculpted with tools to bring out the features.  My inspiration piece was of a African American woman and as this face developed, I liked the idea of using a man of uncertain ethnic origin to be the subject of the cameo.  My attempts to give him a dread lock ponytail were insufficient, and that detail was erased when I moved the image to Photoshop.  I also had trouble forming eyelids and lashes.  I fixed those details,  as well, when I moved to Photoshop,
 In Photoshop, I darkened the eye sockets to mimic statuary I've seen in the past and placed him on an oval field.  The shape of the man's torso was extended to mimic the contour of the oval and a tentacle was drawn to the right to fill the negative space and show that this wasn't a necklace, but a living organism.

I decided to create the creature in Photoshop because time was more important than mastering Mudbox.  I will have to continue my work with that program...  While I was able to replicate the colours of the head for the creature, I wasn't able to get the smooth texture or bold highlights that would bring the two figures together.  I'm currently working with art filters to "marry" the two so they look like they're made from the same substance.

No comments:

Post a Comment