Thursday, September 29, 2016

BSA227, filming With Her, 29 September, 2016



I got permission to film in the dining room of Gilmour House on St. John's Girls' School's campus.  Parth and I taxied the equipment in Friday night and dressed the room with furniture from the lounge and stuff from my room. 
I got to dress the set with lots of my drawings.  Fortunately, I had brought home stuff from school and had plenty of it lying around.  Everybody helped me move out after we finished filming, so the timing was very good.


Parth, NOOOOO!!!!  This is an element that was added on the day which I hope is not going to mean huge continuity headaches in editing. We didn't establish when anything was happening, so I'm sure that clock is going to spin around from time to time. Parth wanted him to die at 12, but we didn't manage to do it and had to settle for 10.10.



S1

S2
S3



S5
S6
S8

S10 We're dropping the hand close up and going straight to the caress.  It's really lovely.  This is the first rotoscoped scene. 

S11  The other great thing about this location was the collection of 5 wedding dresses in the dress up box.  This was my favourite, and Suvarna's, too.

S12  Dan asked "Is it you?" in french which gave the scene a really nice feeling.  Josh reckons we should do all the dialogue (there isn't much) in French.  People will still understand what's happening. 

S13  I'm going to test rotoscoping/photoshopping on this frame.
Suvarna posted this photo of herself and I'm inspired to get our rotoscoping this high contrast and good, especially on her face.  It may require going frame to frame in PS or doing a  special mask on her face in after effects.  

S14  Suvarna did her line in English and French, but she's so quiet and the room ambience is so loud we're going to have to do  ADR.  And today is the day I realized we'd need music, anyway.  I just don't think about audio...

S15  Parth decided to shoot these dancing sequences from outside.  As long as we can get it edited so you don't see the section of the room that we didn't clear, I'll be happy.

S16

S17

S20  This shot of Dan collapsing into the chair is going to be tricky because Suvarna is obscured by the bush, but not totally.  I'll have to select little bits for rotoscoping and hope it won't look patchy.

S21
S22



S24 This is our only really complicated shot.  I draped Josh in green which may be irrelevant after I isolate his hand with a mask.  We filmed a clean shot of the set without actors.  Let's see if we can do this!

S25  A rare treat: Josh Clive sans hat.  I ponytailed his hair and stuffed it down his collar.  I'll have to fix the stray hairs in post-production.  Hopefully, there won't be many frames to fix.
S25  I'm not sure how the rotoscoping is going to look on figures who are this close to the camera- could be ok, could look like a giant blob.  It's short, though, so should work out.
S25  As we were filming Dan "dying", his hand kept flopping down which was a much more effect "dead" look than a facial close up.  Plus, you can see that he's got the drawing of the bride on the table  during those close up and I'm trying to avoid cleaning up picky little things in post.  Fix it in camera, I say!  Save the effort for the complicated stuff.  I got to push the hand truck when we tracked this shot in on Dan's face and hands.  Ha ha!  What job title will I get to add to the list for that?


 Our filming day was 9 to 1 with Suvarna and Dan acting for us and Josh also acting and doing some shots/audio with Parth. And we finished just a few minutes before 1.  Yay!  Then I cooked bacon and eggs for the crew and pumpkin soup for suvarna.  Then everybody helped me move out!  Such an incredibly busy day.


No comments:

Post a Comment