Friday, February 20, 2015

Real World Applications



Hooray!  I have a job!  I've been commissioned to make a real-life mascot costume of this little guy to appear at Pasifika in Auckland next month.  As with all commissions, it isn't real until the money hits the bank.  In the meantime, I spent a few hours developing costume concept art so the client can see what a practical physical representation of their logo will look like. 

"Foam egg" body, with blank body for size reference.  I chose a male silhouette from Google images, erased the center, and re-sized the arms, legs and head.  This was good practice in using layers and the transform tool, but for the time spent, maybe I should have just drawn my own... For the mascot, I used the provided logo and changed the orientation of the arms and feet to coincide with how a performer would wear it.  I added thicker arms and legs, added seam lines and some not very good highlights and shadows.  The "color select" option is different than the old photoshop version I've been using, and I wasn't able to select the green.  Or the black.
 "Puck" body, with blank body for size reference.  This body is relatively flat and needed to be viewed in 3/4.  I played with warping the eyeball so it would look right for the direction.  One of my goals in going back to school is to attain skills that will enhance my mascots and how I make client presentations.  I'm satisfied with today's results, and I know that they'll keep improving over time.  The next time I do this, I think that I will leave the black line work until the end.  Then I can get the shadowing right up to the edge without dulling the black lines. 


No comments:

Post a Comment