Wednesday, August 12, 2015

BMA243, Digital Illustration, Music Genre Poster, 12 August


Provide for start of class on the 19th:
1 A2 Portrait Poster that illustrates one of the listed topics
Must be colour (Appropriate to genre)
Must clearly include the single title of the chosen genre
Must be 300dpi
Should be submitted as a *.png
Must be placed in the digital Dropbox by 1:00pm
Works will be printed by tutor and then foam-boarded and hung by students in designated area.

These works will be taken into account for your final assessment in 2015.
homework!!!!!
music timeline
due next week in dropbox at 1 pm
my genre: Stage and Screen
icons of the genre without specific movies/shows
ideas
"STAGE" in light box letters?
silhouette of Catherine Zeta Jones in Chicago, Gene Kelly, Chorus Line? Dancing across front or along the top.

Image result for marquee letters



Image result for catherine zeta jones chicago

We learned how to 3D words and set them in space last week.  I 3D'd the words "STAGE" during class Wednesday. Sunday night, I added the light bulb effect and made the background black.  My first thought was to have figures dancing in silhouette in front of the lights.  I traced Judy Garland's iconic pose from the number "Get Happy" in white so I could see it against the black while I painted it.  When it showed up on the screen, it looked like neon tubes.  Which makes me think about Times Square in NYC and the mishmash of billboards and lights that make up the theatre district.
progress shot with "neon" dancer


I added another marquee that says "screen" in gold.  Traditional film marquee fonts have multiple ridges but I couldn't find the bevel tab.  Of course, now that I've had a few hours to think about it, I REALLY REALLY want the multi-bevels on "screen.  For now, I will keep what I've got and focus on making the neon lady glow.  I can see that I'll have to thrown some light from the leg onto the back of "screen" so you can see that they're dimensional letters.  Maybe not that thick, though.
I've added an ampersand between the words.  I think "screen" needs to be wider to balance out the "stage" or else the sides need to be hit with highlights.

No comments:

Post a Comment