Tuesday, July 12, 2016

BSA228, games research, 12 July, 2016

I don't play video games.  When I have, it's been with family or friends.  I played this one: 

Writer Rumble 


when I was home with the family two years ago.  We played on ipads, and it was fun to play with my then ten-year-old niece or by myself.  The premise of the game is that figures from literary history, Edgar Allen Poe and Agatha Christie, fire words at each other (when you're in two player mode) or at a series of menacing ghosts in single player mode.  The bigger the words, the higher the zap that gets delivered.  

http://venturebeat.com/2012/11/30/writer-rumble-review/

I joined Farmville so my mom could come harvest my apple trees.  It's got great graphics and allows players to digitally hoard more animals than are really necessary.  This led to an interesting discussion in class on how companies like Zynga make their money:  the game can be downloaded for free and if you want to play more or get cooler stuff, you can buy credits to use in the game with real money.  Out of the 300 top grossing game apps, maybe ten charge money.  The developers count on people not caring about paying 99 cents "every now and then" and not paying attention to how much money they've spent.
I originally joined Facebook so I could play Lexulous, the faux Scrabble, with my friend Tristi in Australia and my dad and friend Kay in the US.  We were never obsessed with it, though, and it was sometimes days before I got around to making a move.  Then Scrabble got pissed and shut it down.  S
Mah Jong
I had a cd of this game and used to play it for hours.  I like repetitive, meditative games.  I lost 40 minutes and $20 on a Keno game in Nevada once.  I avoid video games because I fear getting compulsively caught up in them.  

jigsaw
I love putting together jigsaws, particularly still lifes or large or interesting objects. I will never subject myself to a nature landscape with clouds and leaves.  Horrifying.  I found this website when my yen for jigsaws was bigger than my desire to set up a table for days or weeks at a time to do them.
We played with Unity in class today and made a little man run around in a maze we set up ourselves.  It was incredible!!  So easy and he was already programmed to run, walk, jump, crouch, or "idle"- slightly move like he's breathing or just standing around.  Wow.

No comments:

Post a Comment