Monday, July 13, 2015

BDM124 Stop-Motion Research, 13 July

I started visual research during the break and found lots of images that were exciting, and could spark or support a variety of stories.  I always knew we'd have to work in groups, but was planning on a group of two.  Today, we've been encouraged to form groups of three.  Sigh.  I'm feeling skeptical.  It's not a question of balancing the work load because as long as I clearly document the work I'm doing the grade will be fairly allocated.  It's having to move from doing my own thing to working as a group.  It's been a long time since I worked as a part of a creative team.  The BEST team I ever worked with was in puppetry school.  We were given our basic story, then each group fleshed it out.  We came together, bounced some ideas around, and started laughing.  Then we equally divvied up the labour because we all had the same skill set.  It was such a great experience.  I should open myself up to that kind of collaborative magic happening again.  So instead of thinking about what I don't want to do in terms of subject matter or style, I need to find out what my classmates are interested in doing.  There may be two other people in the group with a similar idea, or a good story but no style preference, who I might work well with.  We watched a brief intro to stop-motion in class and a woman mentioned "Vine".  I've heard of it before.  Maybe this is something I can explore if there's something I really want to do on my own.  I will do some research.

What is Vine?

Vine is a free app that takes a series of photos and plays them in a 6 second loop.
Incredible!  I recognize the image of Sherlock Holmes' silhouette cut out of the book.  I pinned it last week and just assumed it was a static image.  Super cool.  The Detective
Some quick ideas about how to make your own tripod.

No comments:

Post a Comment