Tuesday, May 24, 2016

BSA203, ProPrac, Practice-Led Research presentation, 18 May, 2016

Lenar and I presented our findings from the reading:


 Note the wonky chair and skewed angles of man and space.  I THINK this may be what the article is talking about.  Unfortunately, no image was provided as a reference for "Cezanne's New View".
 Both of these quotes are quite good, but it is the second in particular that strikes me: "if you have no ideal of your own to adhere to, then you have observed millions of mountains, but forgotten why you wanted to paint a mountain to begin with."  So research, observe, look at what others are doing, but never forget why you wanted to make art in the first place.  Keep the originating spark alive!

 Again with the elephant!  But maybe the more times I see it, the more opportunities there are for impact.  I also have to say how much I love this illustration of the story.  Simple characters with glasses to denote blindness.  Each one "speaking" a different symbolic picture to explain what they think the corresponding part of the elephant is.  Brilliant!

 The reason we're doing this class:  somebody in government had a big idea.  
 And arts practitioners in universities had to justify their existence (and share of funding, too).
 I relate to dialectical practices because I enjoy working in autobiographical terms and translating those back out.  When I worked in costume, I would have been a conceptual practitioner.


No comments:

Post a Comment