Friday, August 5, 2016

BSA203, cover letter and CV writing, 27 July, 2016

Each cover letter should be geared towards the job for which you're applying.

30 June, 2016

Dear “XXX,

I am writing in response to the notice seeking interns for your upcoming production.  I am currently a second year in the Bachelor of Screen Arts (Animation) program at the Southern Institute of Technology (SIT).  As I wish to join a film and television production company in the future, I am interested in expanding my knowledge and film making experience with your hair and make-up department.

Born in the Alaska, for the last ten years I have resided in New Zealand and am now a dual citizen.  In order to join the digital realms of our profession, I’m shifting my professional focus from practical costumes and props to digital through the Animation program at SIT.  In addition to my studies, I work as a house mistress at a local girl’s boarding school.  I'm what is known as a "mature" student: as such, I bring a wealth of professional and life experience and understand that not only must "the show go on", I know how to pitch in wherever and whenever assistance is required.     

As your production is in the thriller genre, there may be the opportunity to learn more about trauma effects: the possibility of an internship with your make-up department is very exciting.  I received training in theatrical make-up and wigs in the United States and especially enjoy special effects and horror make-up.  In Chapel Hill, North Carolina, I worked with the hospital public resources department to create and apply trauma make-up for hospital and army emergency drills.  Since moving to Auckland in 2006, I have dressed actors and applied wigs and make-up for a few series of TV3’s “Pulp Sport” and “Wanna-Ben”.  I am able to sculpt and cast prosthetics in a variety of materials and would love to learn more from your make-up team.  I’m conversant with basic computer programs such as Word and Excel and have excellent in-person and on-the-phone customer service experience through working for a costume hire company for seven years.

I would like to work with your production team to bring "XXX" to fruition because small teams mean more opportunities to try new things, learn directly from professionals and get a more intimate view of how the overall production works.  I reside in Invercargill and am available for an internship of 100+ hours from 12 November through 15 December.  My duties at the boarding house mean that my hours during the week are limited to 9-5, but my weekend hours are unlimited from 9am Friday until 5pm Monday.  

Please let me know how I might be of service.  I’m looking forward to hearing more about your production.

Yours faithfully,

Traci

27 July, 2016

Dear XX,

As per our conversation this week, I am writing in response to your upcoming reboot of XXXX for XXXX.  While currently diversifying my portfolio in Character Development by pursuing a degree in animation at the Southern Institute of Technology,(SIT) I am still engaged in the creation of mascot and puppets.  I have always wanted to work on a children's television show, so your plan to bring the Tikis to life is very exciting!  I would love to be your puppet/mascot maker and
would also like to offer my services as an intern to your production and visual effects departments.

I trained as a puppet performer and maker during my costume design studies at the University of Connecticut.  Since moving to New Zealand, I have had many opportunities to expand on my puppetry skills through my work for First Scene Ltd. and with television shows like TV3's Pulp Sport and Wanna-Ben.  I have made a number of walk-around mascots or puppets for these clients as well as a variety of others through my freelance business Meek and Wild Creations.  Since moving to Invercargill, I have continued with this work by creating four soft sculpture Masks for The Pencil Case Gang, a South Auckland-based education entertainment company, and a dog puppet for a 10-city touring production of the musical Mary Poppins.

In addition to constructing your Tikis and their friends, I would be interested in further serving your production team as an intern.  As part of my course at SIT, I am required to do a 100-hour internship before I graduate.  I am available to come up to Auckland during the month of January and I have some flexibility with classes should the production need assistance at another time of the year.  It would be immensely satisfying to work with someone whose vision for educating children and adults in New Zealand I really admire.   I can offer experience working with industry software like Maya (3D), ToonBoom Storyboard Pro and Harmony (2D), After Effects (editing and effects) as well as Adobe's Creative Suite (Photoshop).  My studies in this area have complemented my work as a mascot maker and I'm looking for more real world production experience in children's television, an area that I am very passionate about.  While my particular focus is in animation and Character Development, all aspects of the production process are of interest to me and working for your production would be amazing!

Please let me know how I might be of service.  I so enjoyed your input during the development phase of my own project and I look forward to hearing more about your plans for XXXXX

Yours sincerely,
Traci

8 August, 2016

Dear X,

 I am writing to you about your work with the XXXXXXX' monster department at XXXX.  As you know, I've been a mascot and props maker in Auckland for many years and I'm currently diversifying my portfolio in Character Development by pursuing a degree in Animation at the Southern Institute of Technology (SIT).  In our third year, we do an internship  and I've always wanted to work on a children's television show.  I'd like to discuss doing an internship with you in the monster and digital effects departments this summer.  

I trained as a puppet performer and maker during my costume design studies at the University of Connecticut.  Since moving to New Zealand, I have had many opportunities to expand on my puppetry skills through my work for First Scene Ltd. and with television shows like TV3's Pulp Sport and Wanna-Ben.  I have made a number of walk-around mascots and puppets for these clients as well as a variety of others through my freelance business Meek and Wild Creations.  Since moving to Invercargill, I have continued with this work by creating four soft sculpture masks for The Pencil Case Gang, a South Auckland-based education entertainment company, and a dog puppet for a 10-city touring production of the musical Mary Poppins.   

I know that in the past your monsters have been constructed in Japan and maintained by your crew in Auckland.  I'm very interested in learning how these costume characters work and in how your production creates digital effects.   As part of my course at SIT, I am required to do a 100+ hour internship before I graduate.  I am available to come up to Auckland during the month of January and I have some flexibility with classes should the production need assistance at another time of the year.  It would be immensely satisfying to work for someone like you who has so much experience with costume and practical special effects and a company that has been making children's entertainment in New Zealand for 12+ years.  I can offer experience working with industry software like Maya (3D), ToonBoom Storyboard Pro and Harmony (2D), After Effects (editing and effects) as well as a Adobe's Creative Suite (Photoshop).  My studies in this area have complemented my work as a mascot maker and I'm looking for more real world production experience.  While my particular focus is in animation and Character Development, all aspects of the production process are of interest to me and working for your production would be amazing!

Please let me know how I might be of service.

Yours sincerely,
Traci Meek




No comments:

Post a Comment