Tuesday, August 23, 2016

BSA206, Mind Blowing Movies, 23 August, 2016

Then

Batman

It was dark, gritty and was a total 180 degree turn from the bright, cheerful superhero movies of the 60s and 70s.  I loved it.  My dad still bitches that Adam West should have gotten a cameo picking his tights up from the dry cleaners.

Toy Story

I loved all the "Golden Age" Disney movies- Aladdin, Beauty and the Beast etc. and I didn't believe that CG could be as good- until I saw this trailer.  Pixar totally blew me away.  It's the story that makes the movie and it doesn't matter how it's made.  It was made really well, though, and the Toy Story movies kept getting better proving that if the story is strong, the sequel is going to be strong, too.

Memento
Christopher Nolan is the first director since Alfred Hitchcock whose movies I have all totally loved.  He's so smart.  The reveal at the end of this movie that the man with short term memory hasn't been paranoid, someone HAS been messing with him, but that someone is HIM, was a mind blower.  It's simply made  (there are no "effects") but the story, the editing and the format (progressively going back and back and back in time) are thought provoking.



Now
Doctor Who "The Wedding of River Song"
Great effects and great ideas- this opening sequence is absolutely thrilling.  A clearly modern day London is full of steam trains, hot air balloons and SUVs as public transport in a city where everything in time is happening at once.

I've seen so many movies, I don't know if anything really "blows my mind" anymore.  I loved the new Star Trek Beyond 
anytime they destroy the Enterprise, I get very excited.  This time, bee-like projectile ships tear through the ship, forcing them to dump big parts and then they separate the saucer section, something they could only do in Star Trek the Next Generation!  Much nerd love for that whole sequence.

No comments:

Post a Comment