Saturday, August 27, 2016

BSA228, Level One build, 27 August, 2016

 I'm getting reacquainted with Maya again after 8? weeks off.  Couldn't remember basic stuff, like how to show textures. Fortunately, Lenar was around and he remembered: 6.  I flattened a cylinder into an octagon and repeated the shape for the outside of the hall, garden and two mazes.  Then I extruded the mazes and played around making textures out of my concept art in photoshop.  I was able to successfuly texture the lavender and jasmine mazes outer ring, but the inner hedges are going to need checkerboard work: they're really stretched out.  I'll take them into Mudbox to push and prod the slick walls into bumpy, overgrown surfaces that are enhanced by the textures I've created.  Same with the floor.  I'm trying to do the basic shapes in Maya and then the sculptor-friendly tools in mudbox.  It will be a multi-software effort to make this game!

The view down the "hedge corridor" from the garden towards the house.  I re-used the bricks I made for my Art2Art 2D animation last year.The stretching is not part of the corridor, like I had thought, but a problem with the texture of the hedges and the UV map.  Not sure how to fix that at this time.




  I've made some basic shapes of the topiary in the front hall that I will take into mudbox and rough up/paint there.
I'd like to spend the rest of the weekend working on these pieces, but I've been reminded that our comics class wants to see some progress.  I need to bust out some pencilled frames, maybe several pages worth, to show Michael on Monday.  Better to do it as I go, rather than push it off to the last minute, I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment