Tuesday, August 9, 2016

BSA206, Comedy then and now, 9 August, 2016

Then:
Mystery Science Theatre 3000 Village of the Giants


I can't find an isolated clip of this movie, my favourite Mystery Science Theatre episode, but I can explain it's general appeal.  The movie is bad, it's from the 60s, and it "stars" lots of teen and child actors of the period.  The silhouetted figures at the bottom of the screen talk over the movie and make fun of it.  They are ruthless!

Madeline Kahn!
Blazing Saddles

"Tell me, Are you in show business?"
"No ma'am, I'm not."
"Then get your feet off the stage!"
Clue
"Oh, Wordsworth, someday when we're alone... together..."
"Mrs. White, no man in his right mind would be alone together with you."
Now:

Bridesmaids
They're so funny.  They're raunchy, they're inappropriate, they're good friends.  And it's the female friendships and the struggles around changing relationships that make this a supremely funny movie for me as an adult.

No comments:

Post a Comment