Saturday, June 11, 2016

BSA203, ProPrac, Critique 4, 11 June, 2016


The doll went from drawings, to a doll wrapped in paper to a finished sculpture with an idea.  It will next move into being the protagonist of the animation, pulling together the two sides of the project. I think that I will "burn" her dress off.  She will then start writing a new book and her dress will be blank and ready for new ideas.
The accordion books I worked in were fun, but the wee little book is even funner. Tiny= intriguing.  Technically, there are printing issues to resolve:  everything came out much darker than it should have.  I need to take more time in future to do test prints and play with light levels on the printer.
What I did NOT achieve with my project was creating a story from all the little pieces that went into the book and the animation.  There is a flow, I think, from relationship to dying to trying to date again, to giving up.  Would anybody else be able to follow that flow?  More to do in the future, and I will leave it at that until my other classes are taken care of.
Have I done this right?  As of tonight, I've got to let it drop.  I could explain and massage my documentation forever and not get it "perfect".  I will ask Kate White.  She knows stuff.
This is panel that inspired my layout of Frogs.  I chose this example of Satrapi's work because of the repetitive nature of the figures and the stark lines.


  • I left answering my research question up to the viewer, which is a cop out.  
  • My artwork is incomplete, but of better quality than in the past because I had good materials to work with for my animation.  I was able to focus on technical issues of movement and the program rather than obsessing over how it looked.  
  • I will definitely be able to build on what I've learned for both animations and graphic novels.  My sister already has plans for our educational materials empire.  
  • The exhibition garnered a lot of praise.  I was very happy to have contributed work to it.  I still do not love those blue panels down the center of the gallery.   The pieces on them feel isolated and unloved.  I believe that there was space for them on the wall behind Josh's display and other places around the RAW gallery.  But that is because I prefer a crowded gallery wall to one with big empty, clean spaces. 
  • The second years are in charge of putting on the Flix, and I learned a lot from doing this baby project.  Biggest lesson:  assume nothing about the preparedness of your fellow artists, especially when they might be feeling shy about exhibiting.  

There was some discussion in class, but nobody said anything that I hadn't heard before:  the little book is intimate and fun to read, the animation dictates the story.  I take that back, actually- a few people said that the animation was mesmerizing, in particular, when the headphones were in and you were put into a private sound space.  That's interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment