Monday, March 9, 2015

BMA142, 5 March, Corel Paint Kaleidoscopes and Mirror Tool

In Digital Painting, we've started using Corel Painter.  I'm finding it slow going because the quick keys aren't the same as Photoshop, but it is a much more painterly program.  The variety of tools are comparable, but they mimic real media.  When I use the watercolour tool, the colour spreads like it would in real life.  Better than real life, are the layers.  So I can use a different medium in each layer and I don't get weird interactions or muddied colours.  For this assignment, we are working with the Mirror Tool and it's Kaleidoscope function.  Here are a few of the pieces I made on Thursday:


Marker, and oil pastel tools.  I am entirely unsure how I created the center black motif surrounded by glowing red disc.  Which means the chances of my recreating the effect later are quite low.  
You can choose to have more or less segments, which changes the look of your Kaleidoscope.  This is an experiment to create an artistic snowflake.  

Watercolour and pastel tools.  This piece makes me think about Japanese Shibori (tie-dyeing) techniques.  You can see where the green "petals" meet the blue ring and the meeting point darkens, just like it would on a piece of paper.  


 Other possible applications: paper dolls, lace motifs, reflections in the water, looking down a well or other round object, launch tubes for space fighters, Rorschach ink blots, wallpaper or textile patterns,

No comments:

Post a Comment