Monday, June 1, 2015

BDM125, BDM126, Animation Reviews, 17 May

I'm well behind on my animation reviews.  This week, 2D, stop motion and 3D shorts. 


Korgoth of Barbaria 2006
,


If I liked Conan the Barbarian movies, I'd probably love this more.  As it is, Genndy Tartakovsky worked on the Powerpuff Girls, so this was definitely worth my time.  The jokes are funny and if I'm looking for a variety of ways to strip flesh off the human body, I'll be back.

 Moving On: A Stop-motion Music Video for ‘James’ Made with Yarn by Ainslie Henderson


moving-on-3
This was very moving.  The death, or unraveling of the child in the bed and it's subsequent "rebirth" is really touching.  The full range of emotions were on display here without any facial expressions.  I loved the limited colour palette and the use of yarn to create the bodies and sets.  More than just a material, the yarn also acts symbolically to depict death through unraveling and connection through the cords that attach the characters to each other.

 5 Mètres 80: An Absurd Animation Depicting a Herd of Giraffes Leaping Off a High Dive by Nicolas Deveaux

This was gorgeous!  The complementary colours of burnt orange and browns against the aqua blues and greys of the swimming pool.  The line of giraffes patiently waiting for their turn to dive and their inventive acrobatics.  A 2D version of this would be an amusing fantasy, but making it 3D created a world where it could really happen and makes the idea of diving giraffes charming and exciting.

No comments:

Post a Comment