Tuesday, June 16, 2015

BMA142: Magazine development, Harmony movie poster spread, 16 June




I fixed the "breathing space" problems the text of the "Harmony" posters were having and I've been concentrating on creating an interesting text box.  Inspired by a black and white fashion layout with Christy Turlington and a spiky black fur coat, I knew I wanted an ellipse.  Mastering the ellipse in InDesign has been... challenging.  First, a full oval with a weird skinny oval layer that would not go away.  Second, half an elipse with text and the chest symbiont completing the ellipse.  How clever!  EXCEPT I could not figure out how to make half an ellipse in InDesign or how to cover up the half I didn't want or to make that band-aid solution disappear when I was ready for the symbiont.  So I caved and went back to my first love, Photoshop.  I was able to cut and paste the ellipse I had halved and filled with text into photoshop, then manipulated a symbiont.  I dropped the whole file back into the right hand side of the spread.  There's always a glitch, though, and there is this eternal skinny black bordered box around the whole thing when I save it in .swf AND no luck at dropping in a big W at the head of the paragraph for emphasis like I was able to on the other boxes of text.  The final two "Harmony" posters appear in the next spread.  I'm very pleased that I got the balance of black and white sorted out in their favour.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment