Tuesday, June 16, 2015

BMA142: Magazine development, Clouds and Spheres, 16 June



Clouds was an exercize from the beginning of the semester.  It was a warm-up of sorts for the tablets and Adobe Photoshop.  The earliest versions were a lumpy and ill-formed affair, so I went back to have another crack at it.  I sharpened up the clouds to create a greater sense of depth by layering and sharply defining the shadows of some of the clouds.  The western woman was completely replaced by a figure based on a photo I found on the internet.  I was so pleased with the results, I considered creating a second figure silhouetted by clouds using the Adobe Illustrator software.  Even after adjusting my expectations for mastering the program in the time available, I wasn't able to produce anything of merit and I had to withdraw from the battle.  Another time, Adobe Illustrator!  The program obviously will be very useful to me when I start making clip art again.  With a space that needed to be filled, quickly, I returned to another warm up exercize, Spheres.  I was pleased with having two large images filling the pages edge to edge and this inspired me to fill other pages, which I'll discuss in another post.  The headache with this spread was getting a text box that was slightly paler than than the surrounding image to highlight the text.  I've never tried to kid myself that I could work in InDesign for 6 hours a session and actually get anything done.  I give it an hour, hour and  a half tops, then move on to something else.  So victories happen suddenly and without any explanation.  I managed to get the frosted box look by creating a rectangle, filling it with white at 25% opacity, and then, miraculously, discovering where the "arrange>send back" command was hidden in the drop down menus.

No comments:

Post a Comment