Friday, June 19, 2015

BDM125, BDM126, Animation Review: Pixar's Inside Out, 19 June


Inside Out trailer
What a beautiful film!  I went to see it this afternoon when I was feeling low on inspiration or the desire to go on with my projects.  Nobody will be in the computer lab after 6, so why waste the afternoon trying to work on a lap tablet?

Pixar blew me away when they covered Sully with fur  in Monsters Inc.  The Emotions (Joy, Disgust, Sadness, Anger and Fear) are all covered in soft peach fuzz and this gorgeous glistening hair/fur/feather hybrid and they look just as incredible.  It'll be interesting to see if the tie-in toys can live up to the beauty of their animated counterparts.  I also watched the fabric work on the costumes with great interest.  Sadness' sweater has teensy weensy little fibers sticking off in all directions, so you know what she's wearing is soft, maybe cashmere.  And how great is THAT attention to detail?

Two distinct, but equally interesting worlds have been created in the film.  The inside of 11-year-old Riley's mind is filled with the Emotions, their control rooms, the labyrinthine memory centers, the dump where faded memories go, Imagination Land (complete with a Dream Productions studio), memories... Outside in the real world, the locations and people were so REAL.  I kept being surprised by how lifelike the human's looked and moved.  And they're just as interesting as the interior workings of her mind.  There was never a drag when the movie showed what was happening in Riley's life that made me wish they'd hurry up and get back to the real story.  Inside and Out worked together.

Because I'm working on an animatic, I tried to pay attention to how long each shot lasted, how much movement there was, but I couldn't keep it up.  I think the lesson is 3 seconds, no more, then move on.  I watched for chase scenes and I think that mine will need more movement and changes in camera angle before I'm done.

There were two children under 5 in the audience, and I wonder if they enjoyed the movie.  This may be the first kid's movie that should be handed out to pre-teens and teens.  Or to adults.  I CRIED and CRIED and CRIED, the whole way through.  It was an incredibly moving script.  Good for you, Pixar.  Let's see more animation that tackles hard topics.  

No comments:

Post a Comment