Tuesday, June 16, 2015

BMA142: Magazine development, "Kahlo-doscope" spread, 16 June


Getting pink boxes for my text wasn't hard on this spread.  I was even able to use the colour pick tool to get a pink from both images that worked well.  Why not?  Why be so easy on this one, early on, then a massive pain in the butt for the Clouds, Get Out and Queen spreads?  NO ONE WILL EVER KNOW WHY.   Start early, and start often when using InDesign for the first time, kids.  One of my classmates says that he's starting to put his images into InDesign tonight.  HHAHHAHHAHHAHAHA!!!  Go with God, my friend.

I do take notes in class, but some little picky thing gets missed and when I go back to it, no luck.  The "placement text" has been a bright spot:  I took all the right notes, I practiced it in class, it works when I need it to.  It basically fills your nominated box with latin words so you remember to go back but can still get the look of  a completed piece while you're waiting for the writer, in this case me, to make a commitment to words. I got the writing done, but I didn't like the white borders around everything.  It looked... old fashioned.  Or like a magazine for reading, not for images.  I liked the layout from the Bio Shock 2 feature in the illustration magazine in the closet.  (This image is in an earlier post of the blog.)  Now on a roll with boxes of colour, I again picked a colour, dark red, from the Fridas, and put it in a box that I "sent back".  If InDesign has a layer function, I haven't been able to find it or utilise it.  More to learn, I suppose, always more to learn.  Red and pink in combination has had a bad rap in fashion, but I like it.  These are tied together by a hint of orange and are monochromatic.  It is also in keeping with the vibrancy of Mexico house colours.

No comments:

Post a Comment