Monday, September 11, 2017

BSA303, second "table setting" for our dissertation, 11 September, 2017

We did another round with the table setting exercise.  Our project question is at the center with keywords or back up evidence sitting at places around that question.  I felt anxious at the beginning but having a one on one discussion with Anna who is also doing children's animation and dealing with difficult subjects was very helpful.

I started with my project description:

I am creating a proposal (pitch bible, funding research, 2 minutes of animation, script, marketing materials) for the production of a children's animated TV program for tweens that focuses on Girl and her imaginary friends as they navigate the foreign territory between childhood and adulthood.

The offshoots of that description were:
Animation style: 3D Backgrounds like World of gumball and 2D photo puppetry like Little Airplane Productions

NZ Standards vs. international standards (by which I mean, what is relatable to each market)

Communicating with stakeholders/trying to produce a series

Music

Independence of Thought

childhood/tween development

These aspects of the project got thrown out after I considered that making the animated story the focus of my project is more important than how I market it or the research into the audience who it will be targeted at.  I will briefly address those things in my opening paragraph, but I will not be exploring them in depth.

Instead, I will focus on:

The Personification of Emotional States (these are all ways that kids have of dealing with problems Anna said)

Personal Point of View/Heuristic learning/auteur theory with research support from the Moustakas book

Imaginary friends (child and talking animals) with research support form Calvin and Hobbes by Bil Watterson

"Junque" aesthetic in the character design and setting (why have I chosen these things over others or chosen it at all?)

After refining these place settings around the "table", I created a new question:

How does the personification of emotional states in the animation of Girl's imaginary friends address tween growing pains?

It needs work, but Ruth says it's definitely becoming more about my project and what I'm doing.  Success!  For the next class, I need a one page outline of what I'm going to be writing about.  I will also need to firm up my resources.



No comments:

Post a Comment