Monday, April 24, 2017

BSA324, script draft 2, 23 April, 2017

Draft #2.  In Word it's 13 pages which translates to roughly 11 minutes.  My next task will be to storyboard it and look for places where I can SHOW what's happening rather than SAY it.  That should help bring the timing down.  

Episode 1:  You’ve Got What I Want

INT: room. GIRL sitting on a purple and yellow beanbag. GIRL is 6-8 years old and is wearing an outfit that looks vaguely school uniformish.  Her pigtails are asymmetrical and her glasses are large and round.  She has a lot of energy and sitting down is clearly an effort.   

  GIRL: (to the CAMERA)
Why am I here?  Little brother wouldn’t give my stuffie back, and HE fell over, and Mommy sent me here for a Time Out to think about it.  That's CRAZY!  What am I supposed to be thinking about?  This makes me so MAD!

The music should sound like it’s being played with toy instruments- xylophone, kazoo, tinny drums, etc. then evolve into a harder rock beat. GIRL sings The Time Out song:

Sometimes I'm Mad!  Not Bad!
What to do I just don't know!
The longer that I must sit here
The more I’m sure to blow!

GIRL kicks her legs energetically and waves her arms.  She's frustrated, and not tantruming.  

Look here- I’m real Glad!  I'm so Sad!
THESE feelings I can show

GIRL mimes putting on acting contrite in order to get out of her time out.

If I keeping faking “It’s OK”
They’re sure to let me go!

Hands come around the sides and give her a hug.  She looks up and the beanbag has turned into JELLYBEAN! 

GASP! An IDEA you've Had?  That's TOO Rad!
          You're here to help me be me?

The others pop into the frame- PRICKLES the Puffer Fish, FLASH the Rabbit, GOLDIE the Possum, DR. PICKLESNIFFER the Dog, and TEPPY Tuatara.  Each character has an introduction moment with their name on the screen.


When I get finished thinking
The answer will be plain to see!

GIRL looks around eagerly and finds that they're now in the Imagination Warehouse. 

INT: The Imagination Warehouse.  


PRICKLES, an orange ball of yarn with knitting needles poking out all over, is looking proudly over a board filled with socks.  He has taken all the care of a Victorian entomologist in his display and categorisation of the socks.  Many of the things in the shelves and on the floor around them create the air of a disused wing of a Museum.   GIRL and JELLYBEAN enter. 

  GIRL: 
          Hi, Prickles!   What are you doing?

PRICKLES:  
(thoughtfully) I’m re-organizing my sock collection.

  GIRL:  
But, you don’t have feet!

PRICKLES: 
Why should THAT stop me?  Socks are awesome! 
          Right now I have them in rainbow order.


PRICKLES waves a fin from across the colour spectrum in his collection- everything is there, from Red to Violet. 

PRICKLES: 
But I just got a new one and I think it will look better if I have them in order by SIZE.

  GIRL:
Nice one!

PRICKLES: 
Thank you.  It came to me when I found THIS sock.
  
Prickles indicates the gigantic striped sock that is now in the spotlight.  

I’ve been waiting my whole life to discover it:  Sockus Gigantus Splendiferous!

JELLYBEAN makes a startled noise and starts to hop up and down in agitation. GIRL looks down at JELLYBEAN’s feet and sees that he’s taken off one of his shoes, revealing that he only has one sock on and it matches the one that PRICKLES has on display.

JELLYBEAN: 
HONK!  Honk HONk!!

                     GIRL: 
Uhhhh… I think that’s Jellybean’s sock.


PRICKLES:  
(dismissive) What?  No, socks don’t come in PAIRS. (panicking) This is the best sock I’ve ever found!  (resolve firming)  It’s mine!  He CAN’T have it back! (furious) NOOOO!!! 


PRICKLES ‘blows up’ in anger.  JELLYBEAN honks in alarm and curls up into a ball.


  GIRL: to the CAMERA 
Yikes!  What‘ll they do next?

  GIRL leaves PRICKLES and JELLYBEAN behind and walks down a new aisle.  She finds TEPPY Tuatara and DR. PICKLESNIFFER about to begin a medical examination.  TEPPY is made out of a tarnished silver teapot and scoop and DR. PICKLESNIFFER from a collection of medical equipment.  There is a small bench covered in paper that TEPPY is sitting on in anticipation of her exam and a number of other unusual “machines” for DR. PICKLESNIFFER to use in the emotional analysis of his patients.  

  GIRL:  
Hi, guys!  What’s up?



DR. PICKLESNIFFER:     
I’m just polishing my stethoscope and getting ready to listen to TEPPY’s heart.  She’s been having a bad day and I’ll be able to hear what she’s feeling so I can help her.


  GIRL:    
That’s neat!  I’m sorry that you’re having a bad day, TEPPY.


TEPPY:     
Thank you.  It has been just TERRIBLE. (eyes the stethoscope speculatively) You know, Dr. Picklesniffer, what would make me REALLY feel better would be trying on a pretty, new piece of jewellery.  I LOVE bling bling!


  GIRL:  
(interested in everything that's going on) It IS a very nice stethoscope.


TEPPY:  
(wheedling)  Oh, please, can I?  Please?  Pretty please?  Pretty like ME, please?  

TEPPY puts on the full charm offensive, batting her eyes and shrugging her shoulders girlishly.

    
DR. PICKLESNIFFER:  
(placating) All right.  Just for a minute.  Then we must start the exam.


TEPPY gestures imperiously to GIRL who puts the stethoscope around her neck.  TEPPY strokes and admires it, striking many glamorous poses, even admiring herself in the reflection of her tail.




DR. PICKLESNIFFER:  
(consults another machine) Well, I can see that your mood IS lifting!  Time to listen to your heart so I can see what else is going on.

TEPPY:
(pouty) But I don’t want to.  I mean, look how good it looks with my braces and my nails!


  GIRL:  
(reasonably) It looks great, but don’t you want the doctor to listen to your heart?


DR. PICKLESNIFFER:  
(in full fix-it mode now and wants to get on with it) How about a lollipop instead?


TEPPY: 
(delighted to be changing the subject)    Yummy!

DR. PICKLESNIFFER gestures for his stethoscope.  TEPPY steps back in shock and begins to cry.


TEPPY:  
(tearful) No!  I love it!(resolved) I want it! (bellows) YOU CAN’T HAVE IT! 

TEPPY snaps at him aggressively then smiles charmingly. 


TEPPY:  
(smoothly) I mean, you DO want me to be happy, don’t you? (aggressive to make her point)  DON’T YOU?!  

TEPPY stands menacingly over DR. PICKLESNIFFER who begins to shake like the Chihuahua he is. 


  GIRL: to CAMERA   
Hmm.  How is this going to work out?

  GIRL skips off and finds GOLDIE the Possum and FLASH the rabbit.  They're on an aisle that has seen a huge collapse of stuff that now forms a precarious-looking but super-fun    ski slope.  GOLDIE is a swirl of dried pasta that rustles and shifts as she moves and FLASH is composed of cables and other old computer detritus. 




  GIRL:      
Hello, GOLDIE.  Hello, FLASH.  (incredulous) You wouldn’t believe what I’ve just seen.  TEPPY and DR. PICKLESNIFFER and PRICKLES and JELLYBEAN are all fighting… Is something wrong?


FLASH:  
(exuberant) Nothing could be more RIGHT!  I‘m about to set off to explore the South Pole just like my hero Thadeus Thumper the Third.  I’ve got this great sled and ski pole.  Want to come?


  GIRL:      
Yeah!  (eyes the pile in consideration of where to begin the ascent)


GOLDIE:  
(at wit's end) You’re not going anywhere!  That’s not a sled it’s my baking sheet.  And that’s not a
ski pole, it’s my spatula!


  GIRL:    
Is that true, Flash?


FLASH:
(to GIRL) She said I could use it! (accusingly) You bake all the time and I never get to play ’Trip to the South Pole’!


GOLDIE:  
(losing her nerve) Oh, I know but… but…(pleading) how am I going to make my famous    “Sunflower Seed Surprise” cookies if you’ve got my stuff?


FLASH:
Cookies?  You don’t need more cookies, my fat little friend!  Ha, ha!




GOLDIE:     
GASP!  (hurt) That’s not funny, FLASH! (irate) I’m not fat, I’m fluffy!


FLASH:  
(in full Joker mode)Well, maybe I’ll let you come with me to keep me warm at the South Pole, FLUFFY!


GOLDIE:  
(insecurity has got her now) OH, I need to make cookies now!  Please- give them back!

GOLDIE and FLASH arguing over the baking sheet and spatula with lots of laughing and teasing from FLASH and moaning from GOLDIE.


  GIRL: to CAMERA   
Wow; this can’t be good.  How are they going to work this out?


Solution #1:  Hide the toy

Split screen montage? showing the 3 groups trying to keep their prizes.

JELLYBEAN takes the sock and tries to hide it where PRICKLES can’t find it.  PRICKLES finds the sock and tries to hide it where JELLYBEAN would never think to look.  Sped up shot in the Benny Hill-style where we watch the puppets hide and re-hide the sock with fun music until they’re worn out.  JELLYBEAN catches PRICKLES in his hands.  PRICKLES    blows up and pokes JELLYBEAN who drops him and then rolls into a ball.

TEPPY tries to camouflage the stethoscope by piling on extra necklaces.  She’s got so many necklaces on that she can’t move.  She finally topples over and squashes the frantic DR. PICKLESNIFFERICKLESNIFFER.


FLASH keeps running up the hill and sledding back down again, again and again and again and ignores GOLDIE’s protests.  He zips back and forth as GOLDIE jogs forlornly after him.


GIRL: to CAMERA   
That didn't work AT ALL!


Solution #2- nobody gets it and everybody plays by themselves. 

Montage of everybody sadly sitting off by themselves.  PRICKLES still has his sock collection but he’s missing JELLYBEAN.  And JELLYBEAN’s foot is cold and he’s missing PRICKLES.  TEPPY can tell that DR. PICKLESNIFFER is disappointed in her and DR. PICKLESNIFFER can’t get his work done.  FLASH is starting to feel guilty (and hungry) and GOLDIE is very sad and both miss each other.
     
GIRL watches them all and doesn’t know what to do.

  GIRL: to CAMERA   
That’s not working, either!  I wonder if there's somebody we could ask?  Somebody who has good ideas?  

Ask Someone You Trust

Live action segment with real kids talking about sharing to the CAMERA

What’s REALLY going on here?!  How are we feeling?
Even though he's got problems of his own, DR. PICKLESNIFFER takes time out to ask.

DR. PICKLESNIFFER: 
What’s the matter, GIRL?  You look troubled.


  GIRL:
(bummed) I don’t understand what’s going on today.  Why is everybody shouting?


DR. PICKLESNIFFER:  
(speculatively) Well, I’ll know for certain when I get my stethoscope back, but I’d say that they’re experiencing an emotional overload brought on because they couldn’t share with each other.


Girl realizes it's up to her.

  GIRL: 
Quiet!  Everybody, please be quiet!

The gang stops squabbling and turn to GIRL to hear what she has to say.  

GIRL to TEPPY:
DR. Picklesniffer needs his stethoscope back.  If he doesn’t, our friends will keep arguing and you’ll keep feeling bad, too. (caring) Isn’t feeling better more important than a pretty new necklace?


TEPPY:  
(reluctantly) I guess so.

    
GIRL takes the stethoscope back and places the buds in DR. PICKLESNIFFER’s ears.  He puts the drum against TEPPY’s heart.


DR. PICKLESNIFFER:  
(analyzing)When you wouldn’t give me back my stethoscope, it looked like you were doing it just to be mean.  (graciously) But now that I can hear your heart, I know that you were excited and weren’t trying to be rude.


TEPPY: 
(contrite) Yes, that’s right.  I’m sorry, DR. (kindly) Thank you for letting me wear your stethoscope.


  GIRL: 
(checking in) What about you, Doctor?  How are you feeling now?


DR. PICKLESNIFFER:
(surprised) Who, me?  Ho, ho.  Well, I guess I can find out.  

DR. PICKLESNIFFER puts the drum of the stethoscope against his own heart.

Hmm.  I can hear that…(analyzing what he's hearing) I’m happy that I’ve got my stethoscope back, I’m grateful for your assistance, and I’m proud that TEPPY was able to say she was sorry. (proud of his skills)  I should listen to myself more often!
    

GIRL sees the next piece in the puzzle and points.  JELLYBEAN is still rolled up in a ball and PRICKLES is agitatedly bouncing on top of him.  The Doctor is ready to roll his sleeves up and dive into an even bigger challenge, kindly, because he knows he can help.


DR. PICKLESNIFFER to JELLYBEAN:  
Won’t you come out and let me listen to your heart?

JELLYBEAN shudders and refuses to unroll.
  
JELLYBEAN:  
(uh uh) Honk HONK!


DR. PICKLESNIFFER:  
(ready to meet the challenge) Very well, let me try from here… it’s very faint but I can hear… I can hear that you’re afraid.  Afraid of PRICKLES!


JELLYBEAN:  
(affirmative) honk.


JELLYBEAN starts to unroll.


DR. PICKLESNIFFER:  
(listening and analyzing) And that when PRICKLES gets angry you don’t know what to say so you avoid him.  Is that so?


JELLYBEAN:  
(relieved to be heard and understood) honk.


JELLYBEAN standing straight up again.


PRICKLES:  
(embarrassed and self- defensive) WHAT?!

JELLYBEAN snap back into a ball and DR. PICKLESNIFFER starts to shake.  GIRL isn’t worried, though, and brings PRICKLES and JELLYBEAN together.


  GIRL:  
(making an offer they can't refuse) What if you were able to say what you were thinking and you could still be friends?


JELLYBEAN:  
(I'd like that) Honk!  Honk honk honk.

  GIRL:  
Yes, that does sound good.  And you’re right- good friends can tell each other anything!


DR. PICKLESNIFFER:  
(back to business) All right, next patient.

DR.PICKLESNIFFER hovers the drum of the stethoscope over PRICKLES, who it is impossible to touch.

You look very angry but I can hear that you actually admire JELLYBEAN.  Is that right?


PRICKLES:  
(stand-offish) Maybe.


DR. PICKLESNIFFER:  
(discovery) And here’s something else… when you’re upset you don’t know how to say it so you “blow up”.
GIRL:
Prickles, what if you were to just say “I‘m angry”  instead of “blowing up”?


PRICKLES:  
(protesting) But, I’m little! (Here's the truth) And if I don’t make a big deal out of stuff, nobody pays attention to me!


DR. PICKLESNIFFER:  
Let me listen in again… I can hear that you’d really like to play with JELLYBEAN more but you don’t know how to ask.


PRICKLES:  
(sadly, starting to deflate) No, I don’t.  JELLYBEAN’s big and everybody’s best friend and I want to be friends, too!


JELLYBEAN takes PRICKLES by the fin and honks encouragingly.  PRICKLES finishes deflating and smiles.


  GIRL:  
(happy) You have a very poky outside but inside you are soft and sweet, PRICKLES!


PRICKLES:
(embarrassed) Ah, not where everybody can hear!


They all now turn their attention to FLASH and GOLDIE.  FLASH lets DR. PICKLESNIFFER listen to his heart.


DR. PICKLESNIFFER:     
I can hear that while you are laughing on the outside, inside you’re afraid.


FLASH:    
Well….  Well… Yes.  Sledding is so much fun but there won’t be any cookies unless Goldie gets her stuff back. And I don’t know how to do that without looking like a bad guy.  I’m sorry, GOLDIE.

GOLDIE:  
(ready to forget the whole thing quickly to avoid attention)    That’s all right.  I don’t really mind.  Boy, I’m glad that’s over.  Now I can start baking!


  GIRL:    
Not so fast, GOLDIE.  Now it’s your turn.


GOLDIE:  
(nervous)    No, no!  I don’t want you to listen to what’s in my heart.


  GIRL:    
Why not?


GOLDIE:  
(worried about what they'll think)    It’s too horrible!


DR. PICKLESNIFFER:     
Please, GOLDIE.  Let me help.  Hmmm.  I can hear that you are angry at FLASH.


GOLDIE:  
(stressed) Boo, hoo! He took my stuff, he called me fat, he made me run! And my legs are shorter than his! (exhausted) I‘m so tired of holding it in.


DR. PICKLESNIFFER:      
And I can also hear that you are afraid, too. 


GOLDIE:     
I was afraid that if I told FLASH I was mad he wouldn’t like me anymore!  And now you all know how horrible the things in my heart are!


  GIRL:  
(confiding) You know, GOLDIE, I get angry sometimes, too.


GOLDIE:  
(relieved) You do?


TEPPY:     
Sometimes I feel afraid.


GOLDIE:     
You do?


PRICKLES:     
Sometimes I worry that people won’t like me if they know how I feel, too.


GOLDIE:     
You do?


DR. PICKLESNIFFER:     
Yes, we all have those feelings sometimes, even with our friends.  It’s what we do with those feelings that makes the difference.


Solution #3:  Take Turns with the Toy
As it turns out, JELLYBEAN has TWO socks.  He lets PRICKLES borrow his sock and use it as a sleeping bag.  JELLYBEAN takes the other sock and wears it as a night hat.  They have a sleepover and agree that JELLYBEAN will get the sock back afterwards. 


We see that TEPPY and DR. PICKLESNIFFER are admiring his stethoscope together.  Now TEPPY has a friend that she can dress up in pretty jewellery.  Whether he likes it or not.


FLASH is handing around a tray of cookies and GOLDIE is trying out the baking sheet and spatula as a sled. 

Everybody is sitting together in the center of the IMAGINATION WAREHOUSE on the rugs.  GIRL is snuggled up next to JELLYBEAN.
      
GIRL

I’ve been thinking, and I understand what happened today.  My little brother and I both wanted to play with the same toy, and that was frustrating and I got mad.  Next time, I COULD hide it from him, but that would make him feel sad.  Or I could go play by myself, but that would make ME feel sad. Or we could find a way for us to take turns and play with it together so we BOTH feel happy.  What do you think?

    JELLYBEAN:
          Honk, honk.  (thinks)  Honk, honk, honk.

GIRL:
Yeah, you and the kids were right:  that is the right solution for this problem.  I’m ready to talk to Mommy about what I’ve been thinking. 

JELLYBEAN has moved into position and turned back into the beanbag by now. 

  GIRL: to CAMERA
But don’t worry,I’ll be back. 
(Sings) Sometimes I’m Mad!  Or Sad! 
My feelings are real, I know! 
I'll be back again tomorrow
’cause I’ve got room to grow!

No comments:

Post a Comment