Monday, April 10, 2017

BSA303, website/portfolio feedback, 5 April, 2017

just discovered that URL of pages says "copy of such and such" instead of it's new heading.  Change that!

Lisa:  some descriptions of what services you might be able to offer the customer would be good.
Rachel: put mad bad treatment in so people can find out more about the show
Leigh Anne: Ok on the rotating images keep it to 3 or 4 and show range. I would start with the armadillo, then the puffy heart mascot, then the elaborate sketch drawing of the woman who looks like you. And then stop. There are three diverse development stories there. Also I would lose the red squiggle at the very top. It does not need to grab theme resume. Also .. On all three rotating images add a two- sentence caption of what this is we're seeing and why

Wolfrik- anyway to link to the pages from the opening pictures instead of having to use the menu? Hard to grab those menu sections from an Android phone... words on hot pink bars are disappearing. Can they being made more prominent?

Tristi: The photo gallery with the dark background looked good, particularly the steampunk pics. I'd put them forefront. And maybe change the whole site background to the dark colour for consistency

(Need to find out what Tristi means by "steampunk")

Imogen: I like the mascots and in development section (specifically the robot monster, ET and the weird owl guy made me snort!)
Also, quite liking the fact that your CV is a cootie catcher
(don't forget to put instructions in on how to make cootie catcher with pics on website)

Pei:
Firstly, I would love to see the "Meek and Wild Creations" name somewhere on the top. Where it is now, it gets "cut off" on my laptop screen (I have to scroll it down- which I find to be a turn off). The pink tab also makes me want to keep clicking on it- as it is the most eye catching color on the home page. The fonts for the categories need to go bolder/darker as they tend to blend it into the background. I love the circular shapes for your slideshow- it's unusual and brings movement to the page. I am of the mind that "less is more". If I need to scroll sideways or downwards to see more work then I'm not likely to do it. But this is a personal preference. (I will let you know which I find most eye catching once I peruse them all.) I also feel that the pastel ombre background is fighting with the intensity of your work. Somewhat clashes. Not sure yet if it's a bad thing or a good thing though. When I'm at home page and my curser is above one of your work (in the circle), is it possible to have the category spelled out so I know what kind of work it is? Does that make sense? By above I mean when my curser is "hovering over" the circle.

When I opened it on my iphone, the "e" on welcome was on a second line. the set up was a bit off. I couldn't really navigate it. but yes to up down instead of left-right. OK, here's an advice: because your handwriting is so distinct and features in all your 2d works, it would make the site more individual if you can use your handwriting for the titles of each page ie like "welcome" and my name is traci meek" on your CV page.
Your illustration comics... WOW! Traci! They're amazing!

Traci: That's an idea... have you seen my cv yet? I've got some "70s roller disco cursive" on it because my natural handwriting was judged "too messy". But does that font work? I should be able to get osmething besides plan calibri going.

Pei: What BS. Your handwriting is NOT messy. It's got character. I guess if you can't use your own, you need a specific font that is "YOU" and keep it consistently throughout the site. I don't wan to lose your personality as I browse the site.
So my preference for each page is to keep to THREE MAIN CIRCLES (of work) at one times, is that too few for you? It just makes for aneater presentation, imo. And within each owrk, I would always like to see "variety" over "quantity". So unless you have five different illustration "techniques" to show, I can do with three or less. OK, in your 3D animation page, you have your works in "circles" and when I click on ONE circle and it takes me to the "full view" of that work (black background" and then when I click the side arrows it repeats the works that are showing in the "circles" This makes it confusing when browsing. Either don't allow any side clicks or only have one main circle for that page.
But I'm intrigued by "Speed Date"
Btw, I love the dark humour is some of your work. So you.
"gentle organism". LOLOLOL
I think you have so much potential in cornering the market of these quasi-parody of sci-fi pop culture. You have the knowledge, the passion and the sense of humour. I think SPEED DATES can go very very far. :)
It's still GOOD.

Helen- name check Westpac- feature the real jobs more and make it really clear these were real projects for TVCs and shows.
most of problems are organisational rather than designy. specificaly, tabs across the top are terrible. font size/text is too big for tabs. can you fix colour of tab that goes slightly different colour? (might need coding)

bear box- full width of PC or total background.or underneath tabs, so it's not just sitting like a lump. not wrong, just could be better.
investigate app or website that shows you what websites look like in every kind of browser.
overall, organisation: circles and arrows
Is there coding option to get buttons to say what they are when you mouse over them?
change video buttons to submenus like illustration so it looks consistent
circles should always be click thrus
circle buttons click on to go to larger
need to think about consistency of how to get through
change all scrolling circles to static buttons that take you to the subpages for consistency
under animation: medusa and suvarna over dan's
fox in middle, speed date that goes to video or another level to show full gallery
take happy dyad text off 3D picture if going to use that one.
call it TV commercial not TVC
recrop mascots so they look good in circles
combine contact and CV tabs and call it contact or about


Leila:
I will just tell you what I first noticed before I explore the rest of the site. When I first went on I was clicking the circle pictures too link else where which they didn't. I took me a little while to see buttons for links above. The grey colour is far too light and just not standing out. I didn't actually think that first pages worked and those images didn't show your versitility

Melanie:
I checked out your portfolio. You have some fun stuff on there. First thoughts: I would put your showreel first...I was a little confused when looking at the stills...wanted to know if there was video...and then got to it at the end. I would use that as an intro to the stills. Suck me in and then let me look closer at the details. I would also love to read more about the actual projects...what inspired them? what the full story is, or the moment in the story I'm seeing? There is a little bit of detail at the bottom, but is so small, its like an afterthought...I'm not sure if its important, but it actually has a little of the information I want.

I would do an introduction on your home page...who are you...what are you offering specifically? what is your business? what do you want me to buy from you?Why do you enjoy what you do? Suck people in...you are selling what you do by selling a little bit of you...they want your product, but partly because they are interested in who you are.  I love your mascot costumes...very fun! How do these tie in, to what you are selling on the site? I think you need something that brings a cohesive quality to what you are selling. What ties all of this work together...other than a need to pay the bills. What is your particular "branding" for yourself...or your business?

So, if I write a children's book...can I hire you to illustrate it? and then make a mascot costume for it? and a video game for it?

Your CV page is clever, but since things are upside down, and you are showing me animation, I want to be able to rotate the box to see each corner section upright in order to read it. I feel like it wants to be interactive...not sure you can do anything like that on WIX...but something to think about...and its impact on the viewer.

Just a me thing...visually on the front page...and maybe this goes back to the introduction. The rectangle at the top, for whatever reason, confuses me a little. My aesthetic response is to move the options to the top, and leave the large circles just underneath it, and then under that, have the box, or an oval to tie it in with the circles...and use that as the start of your introduction of who you are and what you are trying to sell on this page. I see the box first which tells me what you do, but not really who you are...and it doesn't tell me that until I get to the bottom, so its disjointed. You are a pretty cool person...suck me in...

2 comments:

  1. i read a lot of stuff and i found that the way of writing to clearifing that exactly want to say was very good so i am impressed and ilike to come again in future..
    panda maskottchen kostüm

    ReplyDelete
  2. sam but i found you do, but not really who you are...and it doesn't tell me that until I get to the bottom, so its disjointed. You are a pretty cool person...suck me in...

    ReplyDelete